All water has a perfect memory
and is forever trying to get to where it was.

- Toni Morrison

Doctoral graduation 1997


Several days before hearing about Margie's death, I received her very playful and happy Christmas card. Dog lover that she was, her very lively card portrayed a red and green dog with Santa caps sitting among colorful, fanciful Xmas trees and snowflakes. Margie's words were both thankful for past support and focused on her future: "Hi John, Always thinking of you. Best wishes for the upcoming year., Love Margie. P.S. I was just in El Salvador, thinking about new research there." She enclosed a card from La Libertad, El Salvador.

I chaired Margie's doctoral committee at UCLA, followed the ups and downs of her career, and cried when I heard about her unbelievable end. I loved that crazy, brilliant woman. - John Horton

No comments: