All water has a perfect memory
and is forever trying to get to where it was.

- Toni Morrison

Margie's UCLA community

Margie's untimely passing is a tragic loss--how many Latinas make it through the challenges that she faced? Her life story would make a wonderful and inspiring book, and many who didn't know her would find it difficult to believe it was all true. I read her articles on racism in the academy and look forward to her book which will be a significant contribution. I will always remember her as a tough (in an compelling way), witty, down to earth home girl who was one of the few who fought hard to get where she was. - Mary Pardo

While our paths in grad school did not cross (I left by the time Margie arrived), I recall with much admiration with which she fought hard and bravely for her position at U of C Boulder and the rebuilding of her life at Laramie.  Margie was and remains a warrior.
- In solidarity, Marta Lopez-Garza

This is devastating -- and I am deeply sad at this loss. I recently had a conversation at ASA with one of her Latino colleagues and he was excited about how well she was doing. I had communicated with Margie last year when we were trying to  work out dates when we could meet and discuss participatory research strategies.  I new that she was coming out with a book -- and I know that she had finally found her niche. She is an example of someone who fought every step of the way to open the doors of academia. I have a hard time finding the words to describe her. Your words, John, are the best. She was a "crazy, brilliant woman" that, though far away, meant so much to all of us who knew her.  - Jose Zapata Calderon

1 comment:

Gina M. said...

Margie was a kind, gentle friend beneath the warrior exterior. I love her brutal honesty and fighting spirit. Her strength and determination is one of a kind. I am thankful for having met her and having shared some of our childhood and graduate school experiences together. She is sorely missed.